Sunday, June 23, 2013

Arnett, OK (86)

Every waking moment I wasn’t driving during the day today, I was conked out. My body just decided that since it wasn’t biking, it’d just shut down completely. Despite it being five trillion degrees and my having nowhere else to sleep besides curled up in the driver’s seat, I probably logged a good 8 hours today at lunch stops.

For what I saw of it, the roads today were extremely windy and extremely beautiful. We came right up on a wind farm and I just couldn’t get over what beautiful structures they were. When stopping to fill up on water, we came across one up close and personal when the road was completely shut down while moving a piece of the turbine - it required a rig with over 120 wheels!

I did, however, have a bit more energy for exploring the super tiny town of Arnett though (and I thought Watonga was small!). The church members were INCREDIBLE hosts – it really showed how much they loved having us over our potluck dinner. Afterwards, a few of us set out to chase the sunset which didn't disappoint. We were treated further when we realized there was a harvest moon out as well, which was a truly beautiful site.

On the walk back, Mike and I spied a few kids sprinting through town and decided to follow them, wondering what kids do in a town of 500. After many wild guesses, we realized they were making their way to a tiny fireworks shop run by some extremely nice folks! Despite never having officially met a Bike & Builder, they knew exactly who we were and why we were in Arnett. News travels fast, I suppose.

Tomorrow we hit Texas, which is supposedly one of the most difficult rides of the trip. Fingers crossed for a cloud or two.

May the winds be ever in your favor,

Lacy

P.S. We come across the most wonderfully random wifi passwords. “cowboys14”, hahaha.






The dirt was amazingly soft!





No comments:

Post a Comment